Inclusion Lead: Mrs Claire Walker (Deputy Head)
SENCO: Mrs Julie Holmes
We are proud to be an inclusive school and welcome all children, regardless of need to our school community.
We believe that all children, regardless of their needs, should be able to access a broad and balanced curriculum, and reach their full learning potential at our school.
We closely monitor how all of our children are progressing both academically, socially and emotionally, but are particularly keen to ensure that children with special needs or who are vulnerable are well-supported.
We believe that all children should feel part of their school community, and especially should have excellent social connections within their class and year group. Teaching should be adapted to ensure the best possible outcomes for all, and to ensure pupils are learning within their classroom as much as possible. In our school, we ensure that:
- There are high expectations of all learners
- Mastery is developed through careful sequencing and placement of new content
- New content is connected to known concepts sand builds on prior learning
- Feedback is ‘live’ and given during lessons; teachers intervene when necessary to ensure misconceptions are addressed and learning progresses
- Questions are used to reframe ideas
- Scaffolding is used and removed carefully
- Pre-teaching; prompts and repetition are used to develop long-term retention
- Recall and retrieval are used constantly to enable long-term retention
- Kagan groupings to develop peer support and changes of groupings to ensure expectations remain high
- Kagan structures, growth mindset and other strategies are used to ensure full participation and effective learning
- Collaborative learning
Some pupils will, however, need further adaptations, support and interventions to ensure they are ready for the next stage of their learning. In addition, pupils with special educational needs may need more tailored provision within our school. We have a wide range of support which we can offer pupils who experience needs in the four broad areas of need:
- Communication and interaction: Children and young people with speech, language, and communication needs (SLCN) who have difficulty understanding and communicating with others. This may include those with ASD, including Asperger Syndrome and Autism.
- Cognition and learning: Children and young people who learn at a slower pace than their peers, and those with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD). For example dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dyspraxia.
- Social, emotional, and health difficulties: Children who may be withdrawn or isolated, as well as those displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviours. The code states these behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties. For example, anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained.
- Sensory and/or physical needs: This includes children with a disability that prevents or hinders them from making full use of general educational facilities. For example, those with visual or hearing impairments, multi-sensory impairments, and/or physical disabilities.
Light Oaks Junior School Provision
A detailed overview of our provision can be found in the documents below:
- The SEND Offer, which outlines what we can provide for pupils with special needs.
- The SEND information report which outlines our statutory duties and how we ensure these are met in school.
- The Accessibility plan, which shows how we are increasing inclusion and access.
If you wish to talk to someone about what we do, or what we can offer your child, please contact the school to make an appointment to speak to either Claire Walker our Inclusion lead, or Julie Holmes our SENCO on 0161 921 1690.
SEND in Salford
We work closely with Salford Local Authority when planning for and supporting children who have Special Needs or who are disabled. The support in our school offer runs alongside the local offer for all young people with SEND across Salford.
- Find out more about Salford's Local Offer HERE